Your fitness journey is a lifestyle change, not a short term fix. It's important to learn how to incorporate your healthy habits into normal social settings without blowing your calorie counts.
So, what happens if there's a social or work event that requires dining at a restaurant? Don't panic! Eating out while watching your diet can be tricky, but with a little preparation you can succeed.
5 Tips for Planning Your Dinner Out
- Select a restaurant with healthy menu options - Check out the menu online and decide what you'll order before you get there.
- Adjust your calories for the day accordingly, so you don't exceed your limit.
- Get your workout in ahead of time. You likely won't feel like it after eating out.
7 Tips for Healthy Eating On the Go
If it's spontaneous and you don't have time to strategize, don't worry. These tips will help you eat out without derailing your progress:
- Avoid alcohol ― stick with water, unsweetened teas or drinks without added sugars.
- Practice portion control ― eat half of your entree and ask for a doggy bag for the rest.
- On the side ― order salad dressings and sauces on the side, adding only the amount you need.
- Steer clear of fried and sautéed dishes ― opt for grilled, steamed or broiled dishes instead.
- Assert yourself ― don't be afraid to ask for modifications or substitutions to make your order healthier; your server should be happy to accommodate your requests.
- Take your time ― eat slowly to give your stomach enough time to tell your brain you're full.
- Swap out starchy sides ― trade potatoes, pastas and bread for steamed veggies or a side salad.
Don't forget to forgive yourself if you have the occasional slip up. Accept it, learn from it and make your next choice a good one. One mistake does not define you!